Friday, April 29, 2011

AUSTRALIA APPRECIATION MONTH: Part 1

In honour of my impending trip to the wonderful land of Oz, I’ve decided to celebrate.
I have to just mention here that there is an ongoing mud-slinging match between South Africa and Australia. It mostly revolves around sport, and some other random silliness, but it gets quite ridiculous and out of hand sometimes. And I’m rather ashamed to say that, in the heat of a tense rugby match, I may have lowered myself to yelling nastiness at Australian teams and referees on occasion. Despite this, and watching too much Border Security, I am looking on the bright side. Which is turning out to be pretty damn bright! Aside from the obvious – my best friend’s wedding and all the awesomeness that surrounds it – I’ve discovered some pretty cool things about Oz.

Now, if you’re expecting a post filled with cutesy baby koalas and kangaroos and platypuses (platypi?) (why do I always feel like a dirty sailor when I say 'platypuss'?), I’m going to tell you now that you’re going to be disappointed. While I am looking forward to seeing that kind of thing, the kind of thing that Australia Appreciation Month consists of is equally as squee-worthy, but in a completely different way. As in: you will be squeeing, but if you’re doing it at your desk, you might get fired. *ahem*

So, without further ado, I give you:



NICK CAVE

* Disclaimer: I have what some might call an unhealthy obsession with Nick Cave. Justsayin'... (Dare I remind you that my alias and blog name orginiate from a Nick Cave song?)


Born on 22 Sept 1957,  Warracknabeal, Australia but left Australia at 19, shortly after his father’s death. Since he left, he hasn’t lived in Australia again, and yet he’s maintained a distinctly Australian-angled persona and identity. His humour is dry, self-depreciating and sarcastic (an Australian special blend), his style is unique and mixes the sharp with the edgy and the totally weird in perfect synchronicity. The best part? He’s batshit insane!


Known for: 
The Boys Next Door, The Birthday Party, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Grinderman


Where you might recognise him from: 
Murder Ballads, an album released in 1996. His most mainstream hit came from this album; it was a duet done with Kylie Minogue (the total antithesis of Cave) called Where the Wild Roses Grow.

Whoooahh! Bite! Whoooah! Bite!
Release the bats! Release the bats!
Don't tell me that it doesn't hurt
A hundred fluttering in your skirt
Don't tell me that it doesn't hurt


O God, what have I done, he said
As her blood pooled in the sheets
But in his heart he felt a bliss
With which nothing could compete
O Mamma O Mamma
  
O ah hear her walkin',
Walkin' barefoot 'cross the floor-boards,
All thru this lonesome night,And ah hear her crying too.
Hot-tears come splashin' down,Leaking thru the cracks,
Down upon my face, ah catch'em in my mouth!


I keep hanging around your kitchenette
And I'm gonna get a pot to cook you in
I stick my fingers in your biscuit jar
And crush all your Gingerbread Men

I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Not to touch a hair on your head
To leave you as you are
And if He felt He had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms

A custard-coloured super-dream
Of Ali McGraw and Steve McQueen
I give to you

Somewhere she lies, this lovely creature
Beneath the slow drifting sands
With her hair full of ribbons
And green gloves on her hands
I hope you've enjoyed Part 1 of Australia Appreciation Month!
Until next time!

Love and platypi,

X


*Note: All picture captions are links to music videos

No comments:

Post a Comment