Thursday, March 24, 2011

Do not go gently...

Since I was a little girl, I've had a bit of a thing about Elizabeth Taylor. Hers was one of the few pictures of women that graced my walls over the years (I was BIG on posters. In fact, I would plaster my walls from floor to ceiling, like wallpaper.) She was magnetic and beautiful and awe-inspiring in so many ways. And she had sass, which is probably the biggest reason I adored her!

My favourite Elizabeth Taylor movie also stars my eternal favourite leading man, Paul Newman: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I've seen it hundreds of times, and I never tire of it. The beauty and passion of that film always make me want to cry for some reason! (*rolls eyes* Yes, every now and then I'm a total chick! Still, if you're going to get sappy about something, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is a pretty good thing, right? Right?!)

It's sad to think that there aren't really many true Hollywood giants left. All we have now is celebrity. YUCK! Give me stars! Give me talent! Give me grace and elegance and astounding ability and class! And give me just a pinch of scandal! I don't want to see people who are famous for the sake of fame! I don't want to see girls flashing their Guadala-somethings at the world every day, and falling down drunk and drugged and revolting.

*cough* So... in the spirit of celebrating the class and elegance of days gone by, and passing us by even more swiftly every day, I give you:


Dame Elizabeth Taylor
(1932 - 2011)

Via The Selvedge Yard

Via The Selvedge Yard


Via The Selvedge Yard

Via The Selvedge Yard

Via Women24

Via Women24

Via Women24

Via Women24



Cat on a Hot Tin Roof


Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Selvedge Yard has a spectacular memorial post up today. You should check it out. The site is always gorgeous, but this post is especially so.


Margaret "Maggie" Pollitt: The truth, the truth! Everybody keeps hollering about the truth. Well, the truth is as dirty as lies!  (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 1958)
X

No comments:

Post a Comment